The distribution of the Scholarship Fund in Ventspils University of Applied Sciences is determined by the Republic of Latvia Cabinet Regulation No. 740 “Regulations regarding Stipends”, adopted 24 August 2004, as well as by the Regulation on „Minimum Scholarships, One-Time Scholarships and Student Loan Distribution Procedure at Ventspils University of Applied Sciences”. The distribution of the total student loan of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences is determined by the Cabinet Regulation No. 220 of Procedures for the Allocation, Repayment and Cancellation of a Study Loan and Student Loan from the Resources of Credit Institutions with the Government Guarantee”, adopted 29 May 2001, as well as by the Regulation on “Minimum Scholarships, One-Time Scholarships and Student Loan Distribution Procedure at Ventspils University of Applied Sciences”.
I. The scholarship may be received by any student studying for the State budget funds, studying successfully and fulfilling all the requirements of the study courses.
The amount of scholarship: 99,60 EUR per month.
The scholarship is granted for a period of one semester. In the autumn semester, the scholarship is granted from September to January, in the spring semester – from February to June (included).
Eligibility criteria: the main criterion for determining recipients of the scholarship is the student’s average grade in the previous semester.
The distribution of scholarships for each new semester (or year for doctoral students) is managed by the Ventspils University of Applied Sciences Scholarship and Student Loan Granting Commission.
The scholarship cannot be granted to students who pay a tuition fee, as well as students who have at least one academic debt or have failed a test or exam in the previous semester.
Documents to be submitted to the Commission:
- scholarship application form
- documents confirming the above mentioned social indicators of the student
- other documents the student considers relevant in the granting process of the minimum scholarship.
The number of scholarship recipients per course is determined in proportion to the number of state budget financed places in the study program and course. If several students have the same average grade, firstly the scholarship is granted to the following students:
- students with disabilities
- orphans or a child with no parental guidance up to the age of 24
- students, whose families with whom they have an undivided holding, have been granted the status of disadvantageous family on the day of the scholarship competition
- students from large families (also in cases where the children of the family concerned are already adults, but at least three of them are not over 24 years of age and are studying at a general or a vocational school or studying at a university or a college full-time)
- students with one or more children.
II. Citizens from countries that have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. The Ministry of Education and Science of Latvia has delegated the administration of the Latvian state scholarships to the State Education Development Agency (Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra – VIAA).
Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home higher education institution or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application.
Scholarships for bachelor`s and master`s studies are granted for one academic year –a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months).Scholarship for master`s studies in the study programmes of Latvian philology, Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic years, i.e. for the duration of master`s study programme.
If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one more year, she/he has to re-apply for the Latvian scholarship. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded not more than for two consecutive terms to one individual.
The amount of the Latvian state scholarship for studies is:
- for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
- for PhD students – 670 EUR per month.
An applicant has to register in the system and make a profile with a unique login and password.
More information here.
Citizens from countries that have signed an Agreement on co-operation in education and science
|2||Belgium (Federation Wallonia - Brussels)||14||Moldova|
|8||Georgia||20||The People's Republic of China|
Citizens from countries that offer scholarships for Latvian students without formal agreements on co-operation in education and science
|8||Iceland||16||The United States of America|
Scholarship amount: up to EUR 99.60 once a year (on December), unless the Commission decides otherwise. The amount of the one-time scholarship does not exceed the amount of the minimum scholarship during the academic year.
A one-time scholarship is granted on the basis of a document (or a copy) certifying student's application and the reason for the grant.
A one-time scholarship may also be granted to a student who has already been granted a minimum or personal scholarship.
Up to 5% of the total scholarship budget is foreseen for one-time scholarships. The number of recipients depends on the number of applications and the amount of grants.
Reasons for receiving a one-time scholarship may include:
- disability, loss of a provider
- disadvantageous family status, large family status
- marriage, family growth
- other valid reasons.
Vītols Fund Scholarship
For each scholarship recipient, the foundation wishes – “To advance in life through education so much as to be able to help others!”
The goal: to use scholarships to help hard-working, talented, but needy young people to study at the universities of Latvia.
The amount of the scholarship is from € 150 per month, paid from September to June (including both).
- informing the target audience of the possibilities of the fund
- educating the society of the opportunities offered by the foundation
- partnership with existing and potential grantees and supporters of the foundation
- attracting contributors.
The Vītols Fund was registered in the Company Register of the Republic of Latvia on April 4, 2002. It was founded by Vilis and Marta Vītoli. At a general meeting on December 27, 2004, the legal structure of the fund was altered, and from an open public fund, it was turned into a foundation.
The foundation “Vītols Fund” was registered with the Company Register of the Republic of Latvia on January 26, 2005.
Because of the complicated situation in schools of Latvia’s rural areas, the founders of the Vītols Fund decided to focus on granting scholarships to disadvantageous highschool graduates from rural areas, who otherwise would not be able to obtain higher education because of their financial situation.
To qualify for a scholarship, the candidate must meet the criteria developed by the foundation:
- the applicant has a high average grade (7.5 points or more in a 10-point system)
- the applicant comes from a low-income family
- the applicant is an orphan, is being brought up by one parent or comes from a large family
- the applicant has achieved exceptional results in a regional, national or international competition involving education.
The foundation accepts applications submitted by 12th grade students from January 15 to March 1.
Scholarship of Professor Andris Klauss
Andris Klauss (1941 - 2004) was a Doctor of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor and Head of the Faculty of Economics and Management in Ventspils University of Applied Sciences, and the Chairman of the Senate of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences.
The range of A. Klauss’ scientific interests was very extensive and he has written monographies, scientific articles and methodological publications about various economic problems.
For 38 years, Andra Klauss' scientific and practical work experience has enriched thousands of students, allowing many to hold high and responsible positions. Colleagues have described Klauss as an unwavering and very demanding towards himself, very wise and erudite, as well as a man with a fine sense of humor.
The aim of the scholarship is to promote the activity of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences (VUAS) students in various fields of activity - both in academic activities, in research and in public work. A successful student of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences is eligible for the scholarship if he/she has fulfilled all academic obligations.
Amount of the scholarship: 1500 EUR.
The patron of the scholarship is a graduate of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences, the current Chairman of the Board of Basketball Development Academy Riga ("Basketbola Attīstības Akadēmija Rīga") - Martins Lauva.
- Academic year 2014/2015 Krista Papede
- Academic year 2015/2016 Elina Sture, Krisjanis Polans
- Academic year 2016/2017 Anna Paula Gruzdina, Jurgis Peteris Eglitis, Paula Lucija Vejkrigere
- Academic year 2017/2018 Aleksis Lurins
- Academic year 2018/2019 Toms Ozolins
- Academic year 2019/2020 Roberts Ivanovs, Klavs Reinis Ozols
Applicants must submit:
- Application Letter
- Transcript of records on previous year's studies in a university or a school
- Applicant’s characterisation from VUAS academic or governmental or non-governmental institution’s representative
- An overview of applicant’s public or organisational activities and documents certifying it, if there are any
- A statement (Appendix 2 to the Donation Agreement on the granting of Professor Andris Klauss Scholarships)
The application for the scholarship must be submitted by November 30 (included). The necessary documents must be submitted to the Chairperson of the VUAS Scholarship and Student Loan Granting Commission, Arita Tobija, in Room C210.
The criterion for determining the scholarship recipient is student’s activity and performance in academic, research and public work.
Ventspils City Council scholarship
Ventspils City Council has created a scholarship for excellence in the field of information and communication technologies (ICT) in order to attract the most talented and capable high-school graduates to Ventspils University of Applied Sciences, as well as to develop the activities of ICT students in academic, research and public work.
Students of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences or applicants, who have been able to demonstrate excellence, high success, special creativity or initiative in the field of ICT (computer sciences, electronics), can apply for the scholarship.
Up to ten best ICT students will be eligible for the scholarship every year.
The scholarship will be provided for ten months with a monthly payment of €200.
- For new applicants, who intend to start their studies at Ventspils University of Applied Sciences’ first level professional higher education in the ICT field, bachelor's or master's degree programs, the application for the scholarship will be announced at the end of June along with the beginning of enrolment.
- Application for the first level professional higher education program (from the 2nd year), bachelor’s or master's degree students will be announced from June 1 to June 30.
Applicants for the bachelor level and first level professional higher education study programs in the ICT field shall submit the following documents:
- Letter of motivation;
- Copies of centralised exam extracts in mathematics and physics or informatics;
- Confirmation of student’s achievements in the last three years in Olympiades, competitions or other events, which demonstrate student’s initiative and creativity in the field of ICT.
Second year and last year students, as well as master’s degree students (including future master’s degree students) shall submit the following documents:
- A transcript of records since commencement of studies in Ventspils University
of Applied Sciences (the results obtained in exchange study programmes are not taken into account);
- Confirmation of student’s achievements in the last three years in Olympiades, competitions or other events, which demonstrate student’s initiative and creativity in the field of ICT;
- Confirmation of student’s participation in various scientific and research projects, Student business incubator and other activities in the field of ICT.
Applications must be submitted at Ventspils University of Applied Sciences, Inzenieru Street 101, Ventspils, LV-3601, secretariat on the second floor of building C, or sent electronically to the E-mail address: email@example.com.
Bucher Municipal Ltd. Scholarship
The aim of Bucher Municipal Ltd. scholarship is to encourage students of professional bachelor program “Business Administration” at the Economics and Management faculty of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences (VUAS) to be active in their study, research and public work, and also to help at preparing students of Economics and Management faculty for labor market, in addition to the scholarship, coaching trainings are provided once a month during the period of scholarship.
Coaching trainings will take place at Bucher Municipal Ltd., where the receiver of the scholarship has a right to personally choose a coach (Head of the unit, worker, etc).
The scholarship will be granted for a period of 3 years by paying 150 EUR every month.
The application procedure is open from September 3 to September 14 (included).
In order to qualify for the scholarship, the applicant submits to the Chairperson of VUAS Scholarship and Student Loan Granting Commission the following documents:
- Application letter, which includes their future vision of their place in labor market and actions needed to achieve it;
- Extract of study records in VUAS;
- Review of their public or organizational activity and documents proving it, if there are any.
Scholarship Granting Commission evaluates the submitted documents and invites all applicants to open presentation during which each applicant presents oneself as a potential scholarship recipient and answers the questions of the Commission.
Any successful student of Ventspils University of Applied Sciences Faculty of Economics and Management “Business Management” program who has successfully fulfilled all their academic liabilities, as well as finished at least one academic year in VUAS, is eligible for the scholarship.
Applications shall be submitted to Chairperson of VUAS Scholarship and Student Loan Granting Commission in Room C210.
“HansaMatrix Ventspils” Ltd. Scholarship
The aim of the scholarship is to promote professional growth and career development for students of higher education institutions in Latvia, including development of professional skills and productive growth of creative potential, along with promoting the involvement of the most talented and skilled high school graduates to studies in the fields of electronics or management. The scholarship was initiated by HansaMatrix Ventspils Ltd.
A scholarship shall be granted to a student if he/she has demonstrated high success, excellence, special creativity and initiative in the study process, science or research processes (this condition does not apply to highschool graduates), has achieved recognizable results in Olympiads, competitions or international Olympiads, or has succeeded in other ways. Student excellence is also characterized by participation in various public activities related to organization
Students can apply for the scholarship if they have successfully completed their academic obligations, if they do not have any academic debt at their higher education institution, and if they are applicable for one of the criteria specified in Section 5 of the Scholarship Regulation.
Students from 2nd to 4th Year can apply if they are studying business management and students from 1st to 4th Year can apply if they are studying electronics.
Recipients of the scholarship are involved in training and an internship at HansaMatrix Ventspils Mentor School.
Maximum of two students will be granted the scholarship for a period of ten months, with a monthly amount of € 150.
Applying period is until October 25 (included).
Applications must be submitted electronically in PDF format with the reference “Application for HansaMatrix Ventspils Scholarship for Excellence”. Applications must be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarship applicant shall submit the following documents:
- Letter of Motivation;
- Centralized exam extract copies which have been submitted upon enrolment in higher education facility (applies to 1st Year students);
- Study record from the beginning of the studies (applies to 2nd to 4th Year students);
- Confirmation of the student's achievements over the last three years in Olympiades, competitions or other events attesting to the student's initiative and creativity in the professional field;
- Confirmation of the student’s participation in various science and research projects, Student business incubator, etc.;
- Confirmation of the student's participation in various public activities related with organization;
- Recommendation letters from the lecturers, internship managers, mentors, etc.;
- Any other information attesting the student's compliance with the criteria set out in Section 5 of the Scholarship Regulation.